Saturday, August 9, 2014

CASE-ing the Catty #4 - Sunflower from the Flower Brenzy Bigz Die

Unfortunately I didn't manage to play in the challenge at CASE-ing the Catty last week, but this week the Wedding theme is perfect for a card DD needed:-


DD is attending a wedding that has a full on sunflower theme, so I used the layout of the bag on page 71 of the Annual Catty as my inspiration & added this bloom:-


I even used the same die!  I cut three layers of the largest 5 petal flower in Daffodil Delight, then placed the flowers back on the die, offsetting the petals, so that when I rolled them through the Big Shot again, I ended up with three 10 petal flowers.  I joined all three layers with a brad, then misted the layers with alcohol & scrunched them to get a 3D bloom.  The centre is a 1.3/8" circle which was embossed with the dotty folder (inked with Early Espresso ink), then added to a double layer of fringed 1.3/4" circles.

I liked the gold embossed dotty vellum on the inspiration piece, but the dots didn't work with the sunflower & the size of the panel, so I opted for the more formal diagonal stripes.  In contrast to that big bloom, I kept everything else pretty simple & found that the retired white textured cardstock was the best option for the background.

Both the flower & the sentiment are popped up on dimensionals.


If you would like to join this challenge & check out the fantastic DT samples, click on the graphic below:-

http://caseingthecatty.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/case-ing-catty-challenge-4-wedding.html

 Edited to Add
A big thank you to the Team for this:-


BTW, if you are interested, you can find a tute on how to make a smaller version of my sunflowers HERE:-


Card Components
All SU
Sentiment & white textured cardstock (retired)
Early Espresso, Garden Green, Daffodil Delight & Whisper White cardstock, Gold Fancy Foil Designer Vellum, 1.3/8" & 1.3/4" Circle punches, Decorative Dots embossing folder, PLxSU Die, Flower Frenzy Bigz L Die, Dimensionals

10 comments:

Rachel Palmieri said...

What a wonderful sunflower, Helen! I will have to take a look at the tutorial, so glad you could join us at CTC this week.

Becky said...

I love sunflowers and this card is so sweet. Thanks for joining us at CTC!

Alison Barclay said...

Just brilliant! Your sunflower is genius! I love your card!! Thank you for joining us at CASE-ing the Catty this week. :)

Christine Blain said...

What a perfectly fitting card for the occasion! LOVE the dotty centre of the sunflower, Helen. Gorgeous card.

Bronwyn Eastley said...

Oh wow! Helen, you always come up with the most amazing embellishments - loved reading all the detail on how you made that gorgeous sunflower. Thanks for joining us at CTC again this week.

Sharnee Torrents said...

Dearest Helen!!
WOW oh WOW this card is totally amazing!!! I mean that sunflower looks sooo real, the detail you've put in that is outstanding!!!! WOW!!!!! AWESOME!!! Thanks for joining in on the fun at CASE-ing the Catty!
SMiles SHarnee :)

STASIA SLOMA said...

gorgeous sunflower!!! This is a must case for me! Just pinned your idea for the future! Thank you taking the CASE the catty challenge!

Sharnee Torrents said...

CONGRATS, CONGRATS dear Helen!!
We all LOVED your card and so HAD TO pick you as our TOP CASE!!!YAY, YAY, YAY for you!!!
Well done again, that sunflower is soooo awesome!
Smiles Sharnee :)

Julia said...

amazing card - so beautiful and well done - you deserve the accolades!!!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Hi Helen ... so nice to have you back in blog land! I am just catching up on some blog hopping! Sorry I missed your recent return! This is such a fun card! Love the gorgeous sunflower. Off to see what else you have been up to! Hugs xxx